After a synopsis of his professional life, the piece presents Schelberg’s answers to a baker’s dozen questions about his career, the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA) and the work of the ERISA Advisory Council.
In discussing his career, Schelberg describes how he became interested in working in the area of employee benefits, what he does in his practice, how his appointment to the ERISA Advisory Council came about, and the impact of his work with the council on his practice.
Schelberg’s answers about ERISA and the council address such topics as:
- The history of ERISA
- ERISA’s major provisions
- Factors that add to the complexity of the statute, including legislative gaps
- Unresolved issues, such as same-gender marriage and health care reform
- Emerging issues having to do with retirement policy and employer-based health care coverage
- Topics the council is studying this year
- The Department of Labor’s response to the council’s recommendations
Read the full Q&A (free registration required).