Published on July 17, 2017 | by LawNews
Gitenstein Institute’s CHAT Project Receives 2017 IPRO Quality Award
The Conversations: Health and Treatment (CHAT) project, a partnership between the Gitenstein Institute for Health Law and Policy at Hofstra Law and Northwell Health, has been named one of eight recipients of the 2017 IPRO Quality Awards. The awards recognize organizations and professionals that demonstrate a commitment to improving the quality of care provided to New York’s Medicare beneficiaries.
“These awardees represent a diverse array of professionals and organizations, working with IPRO in such areas as diabetes self-management education, sepsis awareness, improving transitions of care, and facilitating end-of-life care discussions between healthcare professionals and their patients,” said Clare B. Bradley M.D., M.P.H., senior vice president and chief medical officer at IPRO, in a July 13 press release.
The CHAT project received the award “in recognition of exemplary collaboration, partnership, and patient advocacy.” The CHAT team partnered with IPRO’s CMS Special Innovation Project “Transforming End of Life Care” team to educate Medicare beneficiaries, families, caregivers and providers in Nassau and Suffolk counties about the importance of advance care planning.
These efforts, which played a significant role in the success of the “Transforming End of Life Care,” project included:
• assistance with connecting to key community leaders in the project service area;
• development of an expanded project outreach community through news articles and website links; and
• collaboration on provider and community educational programs.
IPRO, the Medicare Quality Innovation Network-Quality Improvement Organization (QIN-QIO) for New York state and lead organization in the Atlantic Quality Innovation Network (AQIN), presented the awards on June 6 during its annual meeting at the LaGuardia Marriott Hotel. Gitenstein Institute senior fellow Adam D. Kahn ’13 (third from right in the photo) represented Hofstra Law.
View information about the IPRO Quality Awards and all the honorees on the IPRO website.
About the CHAT Project
Through careful consideration of each community’s needs, Conversations: Health and Treatment (CHAT) strives to build and implement community outreach programs that include educational and legal services which foster effective medical decision-making and advance care planning.
About the Gitenstein Institute
The Gitenstein Institute for Health Law and Policy unites students, faculty, attorneys, caregivers, clinicians, policymakers and community partners to transform the U.S. health care system. Through alliances with key community stakeholders, the Gitenstein Institute:
• creates direct services, as well as focused policy, research and advocacy initiatives, to address the needs of underserved members in our community;
• adopts and expands partnerships that help to broaden the impact and scope of our model initiatives; and
• develops and implements interdisciplinary methods to engage students in order to pave the way for positive change in the U.S. health care system.